Disclaimer: This map above on which ICLEI Members are displayed is neither produced nor maintained by ICLEI. ICLEI remains politically neutral of territorial disputes, and does not determine how the map demarcates international boundaries or indicates sovereignty over geographic places.

 
Search by Country
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Page
Search City Profiles

Municipality of Belo Horizonte

Population
2.523.794 (2019)
Country
Brazil
Served by
SAMS
City Profile
Situated in the mountains of central Brazil, Belo Horizonte is the capital of the State of Minas Gerais. As the first city in Brazil designed by urban planners, it was originally intended to sustain a population of 200,000; today, it is the country’s sixth most populous city, with a population of roughly 2.5 billion. 85% of Belo Horizonte's economy lies in the services sector, while the remaining 15% relates to industry (especially metallurgical). The City was awarded the 2009 World Future Policy Award for its food security program, and its approach to environmental sanitation in the 1990s helped to set a national standard.
 
 
 
 
ENG | ES | FR | PT | KR | JP | CN