Panaji, the state capital of Goa, is among the 98 Cities identified as potential Smart Cities by the Government of India under its flagship Smart Cities Mission. ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability, South Asia proudly assisted the City of Panaji in developing a sustainable Smart City Proposal with active involvement of local stakeholders and citizens. The Proposal was further revised based on the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India’s Panel of Experts observations.
The government of India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a vision of developing 100 smart cities as satellite towns of larger cities and by modernizing the existing mid-sized cities.
The Panaji Smart City initiative was launched on 14th Oct, 2015 in Panaji, Goa in the presence of the Hon. Deputy Chief Minister of Goa, Shri. Francis D’Souza, the Hon. MLA – Panaji Constituency, Shri. Sidharth Kuncolienkar, and the Hon. Mayor Corporation of the City of Panaji, Shri. Shubham Chodankar, including other leading experts and citizens from the city.
Smart City Mission focuses to build convergence, more than ever, to better leverage the opportunities available under national programs such as AMRUT, HRIDAY, Housing for all, Swachh Bharat Mission and all other programs connected to social infrastructure such as Health, Education and Culture.
The project involves the preparation of the Panaji Smart City Proposal based on the mission guidelines and through extensive citizen consultation process.
In the proposal, the city identified two square kilometres city core reflecting heritage and culture of Panaji for retrofitting through five key thematic interventions:
1. Smart and sustainable infrastructure to improve basic quality of life and increase efficiency of service provision
2. Conserving and showcasing heritage and culture to enhance image of the city
3. Place making to improve charter of public areas
4. Blue green sustainability of coastal ecosystem
5. Economic development, job creation and revenue generation opportunities across interventions
Pan City solutions for Panaji complement existing and proposed infrastructure with smart solutions for the identified focus areas. In order to achieve maximum and city wide impact, two main solutions were proposed
1. Smart Transport and Ecomobility
2. Smart Environmental Services with focus on ICT based solutions of Solid Waste Management
Oct, 2015 – April, 2016